Index of Reviews, Interviews & Discussions

Monday, October 24, 2022

"Levitation 1" Kastning / Gardony — Spontaneous Creation for the Pleasure of Song

 

Cover art by Geoge Karunov (RUSSIA)

Then the writing became so fluid that I sometimes felt as if I were 

writing for the sheer pleasure of telling a story, which may be 

the human condition that most resembles levitation.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez




I believe this album is the best example of an evolving new musical form of composition. After years of adherence to the written page, Classical music has begun to return to its improvisational roots. Kevin Kastning has embraced that return tenaciously for more than a decade with spontaneous duets and solo performances that transport me consistently to a deeper experience of music. This Levitation 1 pairing with master musician Laszlo Gardony on piano and Kevin Kastning on 36-string contra guitar has exceeded all expectations. If collaborative Classical composition needed a "proof of life," this album leaves no room for doubt. This revitalized form of Classical music is very much alive and well.

    This music was improvised similtaneous and effortlessly by these two artists for the shear pleasure of song, which may be the human condition that most resembles levitation. This album need not be explained to be loved. It is not necessary to know that these artists are improvising to enjoy this music at all. This is the album of new music that could be sent to my working class and sainted Mother and expect she would hear the beauty and feel the love in this music. This album is, in short, a miracle. In Levitation 1, these two musicians improvise out of whole cloth so perfectly joined in song that they might just as well be playing from memory, or reading the notes from a carefully composed page of written music. This music is most certainly transcendent. 

Maybe it is better to hope that music may always be 
transcendental language in the most extravagant sense. 

    In addition to the shear quality of the transformation of two musicians into one music, which I have heard increasingly in Kastning's albums to great success, is the unique pairing possible because of the range of these two instruments. There are moments when Gardony seems to play a cloud over which Kastning can fly on those 36 strings. Kastning with the range and timbre of his unique instrument paints a drop curtain adding texture and context for Gardony's invention. The trading back and forth is so seamless as to be one voice to my ears. I find I am no longer concerned with the music at all, but instead I am transported to a lofty place where my own life can be reimagined in context of the infinite. Yeah boy, howdy! 

   What makes all this possible is an understanding of the nature and mindset of improvisation that has long been articulated by Laszlo Gardony in his teaching and interviews, and by Kevin Kastning as I have come to know him through the past decade. Neither one of these artists are "creating" the music as it happens in the sense of owning the notes and expressing themselves. That would be a competition of sorts, and it couldn't sound like this. Instead, both artists are playing the music that is gifted to them and they are both staying the hell out of the way while playing the music they hear from the Source. As nutty as that sounds, it is the only way to play together so completely. Neither one is taking the lead or supporting the other in a conscious way. As Laszlo Gardony said in answer to my question about what he is thinking while improvising (Interview):

No. I was one with each note. I was each note.
—Laszlo Gardony

    I believe that if you go to a concert and you leave impressed, you should get your money back. That's not why anybody goes to see music. You oughta get a song, and sometimes a new way of seeing the world. I have shared my personal journey while listening to this album below, and you may take note that there is very little claptrap about what the musicians are doing. You might think what I am writing below is irrelevant to the album I am reviewing, and you might be right. I didn't write it for anyone's benefit but my own, but I noticed that the album had taken me to the sea of music, where an overwhelming experience of the DNA of sound was there for me to experience. And after the music was over, my own world with all its aches and pains and little details and problems looks very different. I wasn't impressed. I was transformed. 

    At this point, the reader is invited to stop now and rush over to the music, or journey forward and read some more. My writing is always a trick to see if I can confuse the reader into listening to the album. If I don't send you to the music, my writing has failed.

FANTASY REVIEW


The following writing was improvised while listening to Levitation 1 without a thought for publication. This is where the music took me. I shared it on Messenger, and it seemed to fit. So here it is. A good album of new music will let the listener explore the process of music in new ways. A great album of new music will transport the listener to heaven.


If listeners aren't carried away to Heaven, I'm failing.

—La Monte Young

Here is the "fantasy" review:


I am listening to Levitation 1. There is a sea of music. This sea is the source of music. There are streams in the water of pure colors and there are bubbles of many sizes. I have thought of this water as the source of music, but as I see it now the water seems to object. A voice in my head seems to feel slighted by that label. I hear the interjection, “Labels!” The voice says it as dirty word. This is music all by itself and it is beautiful. If this is the DNA of music, then what is music? What I see and feel here, and certainly all my ears can hear, is beautiful. I don’t want to speak at the banks of this sea. There is too much beauty here always and nothing that can be improved by commentary or category or any such simplification.

I watch two great musicians seeming to float over the waters with colorful lights and other sights swirling around them. I can see that all they hear inside themselves can be seen here  and as they approach each other the clouds of lights and colored shapes reach out to each other. I am watching a temporary melding of musics into a greater whole. Their bodies dance above the water, and they dive below. When one of them separates, the sound of loneliness and isolation fills the air above the water, and when they come together the musics play together as puppies, or clouds, or children, or dancing lights and colorful clouds.

I do my best to find the category to fit this beauty, but I have no word for this. So soon I find the two voices become a multitude that I hear as just one. That snippy voice in my head whispers its wisdom: “Relax. It’s just music.” Somehow this statement makes me want to cry. It is as though I had never relaxed before. I am not making a sound, but somehow I become part of the music. The voice says, “Yes!” And I realize that I am part of all the music I have ever heard, and all the music in the world has only ever been inside me! All I hear, and all I feel, and the voice in my head, and the swirling lights and colorful streams glowing in the sea, and the glowing mist are all Music and they are mine.

For a moment, I am suspended between these master musicians. I can feel the sound all around me. It is ALL emotional, EVERY note, all silence harmony, cadence, cascade, and every sound surround me. I feel the music, and what I feel IS the music. In my thoughts, I ask the musicians how they know what to play, and they just smile. The answer comes to me that the music is written in the lights and water and mist and ice and streams in this sea of discovery. For a laugh, each musician points to the other one and they both laugh. That is a joke because it isn’t true. Neither of them is leading. Both are following. Both are “reading” the music in everything all at once.

And I feel so much love. I feel loved. I am the very center of this experience, and the musicians treat me with the greatest respect. I feel that I am somehow the most important part of this whole experience. I am so moved by this. I am not used to being treated this way. All my emotions are treated with respect. All I feel is respected and it somehow becomes part of the Music. No, that’s not quite right. Everything I feel IS the music.

A very wise cloud of sound winks at me at this point and I get wisdom somehow silently spoken inside me: “The Listener is all is where the music goes. The only music you hear is in the quality of your own listening.” Wow! I am loved! I realize that I don’t know how to feel this much of Music for long. I resolve to learn to listen more. The cloud says, “No learning. Just let go! Learn to forget all that. The Music is enough.” I see that my Master Musicians have become the notes and nothing more and they are alive in me and they have always been there.

When I have been at the Sea of Music long enough, it is time to step away, but I am not the same person anymore. I am the keeper of the Music. I have become “The Listener.” My soul expands. Music has become my words for all the indescribable things. For the first time, I know for certain that there are indescribable things in me that matter. I can’t say what they are, but I know they are a better part of me.

I always feel good after listening to Levitation 1. I feel closer to who I am. I am become a cloud of meaningful experience, wisdom and love that is the very source of me in this world. You only see a part of me. I had forgotten there was a part of me that is only mine to see, and hear, and know. My day goes better. I can choose differently. I have become a cloud in trousers.


EXTRA CREDIT

The following are all comments I made to Kevin Kastning about Levitation 1 in Messenger texts while I went through two bouts of Covid 19 in three months and other annoying distractions before launching this website. They were posted at his page with my permission, and looked for all the world as a pretty well formed review to me. Once again, these comments were made as a personal comment and not intended as a review. So I wasn't lying, or trying to sound smart. That's just what I felt at the time while texting on Messenger. 


Here are the texts:

Levitation I has become my morning music. It starts my day off open to the unexpected magic and humanity in every breath. This collaboration is a forging together of two distinct languages with subtle tonal variations and tendencies combined into one new voice — and that voice is chock full of hope and humanity. This is not an oil and water combination. This metamorphosis of two into one reminds me of the title of Raymond Carver’s book of poems: “Where Water Comes Together with Other Water.” There is melody everywhere in this doubly improvised ascension. I am quite sure neither of these artists are creating these songs, but rather both composers are following the song as it is revealed to each. Same as it ever was. I hear a line of Theodore Roethke’s “The Waking: “Learn by going where I need to go.” I feel this album as a duet between precise, sparse and practical magic, as though the meticulous language of Raymond Carver and the hothouse flowers of Theodore Roethke’s deeply moving praise for life had been pranked into metamorphosis by impish Ovid into the story we all need to hear right now around a camp fire. If asked for a comparison of these artists, I would say they can be compared to sparse Raymond Carver and transcendent Theodore Roethke combined and reborn by mischievous Ovid into temporary song. Since those three have yet to put out an album of their own, I can recommend Levitation I as the next best thing.

I love this album. I think the combination is amazing. Gardony may hem Kastning in a bit, in that he may have a greater tendency to keep hold onto a key signature more than Kastning might unfettered, but that tension is glorious.

There is a little bit of a Lennon and McCartney type struggle. “It’s getting better all the time (It can't git no worse).” It’s just wonderful. Of course, I don’t give a damn what is intended, and as with Kastning's other work, there is little time for intention to raise its ugly little head. Something new is created in this collaboration and it isn’t under control at all.  Damn fine album!

I fantasize that both artists were experiencing the album as it happened much as I am feeling when I listen to it. Kastning must have had an underlying joy in the discovery that this music had taken over and didn’t need any help along the way! A good collaboration commandeers intension into an uncontrollable metamorphosis. I love describing that. The power of Kevin Kastning’s music is that it can be moving, dazzling, and entertaining while calling into question everything I had known about the source of creativity and moment-to-moment experience of creation itself.

Here’s a revelation: The silence after Levitation I is poignant and electric with possibilities. That bird singing over there, the backfire of a truck on the highway, the subtle sound of wind through the trees, all sound and silence, at this moment support the soloist of that Magpie nearby. I dare say I would not have heard or understood this natural and man-made symphony unaided by the music that came before.

=========

That's all folks! If you made it this far, I consider you a friend. Thank you! Now, please head over to listen to the music on whatever platform you like best.

The companion "interview" is linked immediately below:



KEVIN KASTNING

Sunnyside recording artist
Berklee Professor of Piano


The Billy’s Music Without Borders Index of Reviews, Interviews & Discussions


Email:                billymwb@gmail.com


Submissions accepted. Send a link, not a CD. Lyrics and artwork plus any information is appreciated. Access to artists for interviews encouraged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

“AUM” The Indica Project — “Devi's Song of Everything"

AUM The Indica Project “Devi's Song of Everything" Devi’s Song of Everything "When Wood's daughter Devi was very young, sh...